2023-2024 Fiscal Year Grant and Scholarship Amounts Awarded
In June 2023, The Exchange announced it would be awarding a total of $500,000 in grants and scholarships.
$9 Million Awarded
Thanks to our many volunteers, consignors and shoppers for their on going support and patronage, The Exchange has been able to award $9 million in grants and scholarship in support of our local art community. All of the scholarship and grant monies used for this purpose are generated through the organizations consignment operation.
Through the proceeds of a consignment business, provide financial support to local visual and performing arts organizations and programs, and to students in the visual and performing arts.
- Organization Grants: Organization grants are limited to local 501(c)(3) organizations whose primary purpose is to promote and/or produce visual & performing arts.
- Program Grants: Program grants are limited to visual & performing arts programs produced by local 501(c)(3) arts and cultural organizations.
- Elizabeth Lindsay Arts in Education Grants: Limited to 501(c)(3) arts organizations and educators within Sarasota and Manatee county public, charter and independent schools. Grants are limited to the visual and performing arts, benefiting students grades K-12.
- Student Scholarships: Student scholarships are limited to local high school and college students pursuing a higher education in the visual and performing arts.
- The application process begins Nov. 1 and closes on Jan. 31 of each year. The Exchange has a firm deadline and therefore applications must be submitted in their entirety before 4:00 pm on Jan. 31.
- In April, the Board of Directors will notify all applicants via email as to whether or not they will be receiving a grant or scholarship.
Each applicant must meet specific eligibility requirements.
- Scholarships are awarded annually to local high school and college students interested in pursuing a higher education in the visual and performing arts. The Exchange is one of Sarasota and Manatee counties largest scholarship providers
- Applicants must be a resident of Sarasota or Manatee County.
- Relatives of The Exchange, board members, employees and their relatives are not eligible to apply.
The Exchange provides grants to support and enrich a variety of programs for local arts and cultural organizations in Sarasota and Manatee counties
- Grants are restricted to organizations whose primary purpose is to promote and/or produce the visual or performing arts.
- Project must take place between July 1, 2023, and June 30, 2024.
- The project must be accessible to the public.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate that the project has artistic merit.
- Applicants must be exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Local 501(c)(3) art organizations are eligible to apply for both grant programs offered by The Exchange. "Program" grants benefit the public whereas "The Elizabeth Lindsay Arts in Education" grants benefit students K-12.
The Elizabeth Lindsay Arts in Education Grant Applicants
The Arts in Education Grants Program, is intended to encourage local art organizations and educators to work collaboratively to design and develop artistically creative and innovative projects involving the visual and performing arts benefiting students grades K-12.
Grants for this purpose may include curriculum-based residencies, workshops, arts related day trips, assemblies/performances and out of school experiences. Programs may either use Cultural Educators working on-site in the school setting and/or day trips to cultural institutions for performances or exhibitions. Programs must occur during the regular school day. Arts Education projects and performances may be in any artistic discipline.
- Local nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) art organizations with an eligible school partner. Grants are restricted to Sarasota and Manatee county public, charter and independent schools and teachers grades K-12.
- Projects must take place between July 1, 2023 and June 30, 2023.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate that the project has artistic merit and must involve at least one tax-exempt 501(c)(3) art organization.
- Although not a prerequisite, priority will be given to projects that include a managing partner or group of partners that act as the coordinating entity and involve other cross-sector organizations/partners, one of which is a 501(c)(3) arts/cultural organization. We are referring to a collaborative effort that involves the community on some level.
Funds will not be granted for the following:
- Capital Support, including new construction or renovation
- Cash reserve
- Fellowships or scholarships
- Travel, entertainment or housing expenses
NOTE: Travel expenses will be granted for The Elizabeth Lindsay Arts in Education Grants Program ONLY.
- Conference or seminar attendance costs
- Fund raising
- Multi-year projects
- Administration costs not related to the project
- Space rentals not related to the project
- Out of Sarasota County touring of exhibitions or performances
- Real property
- Reduction of existing deficits
- Operating support
- Payroll taxes, pensions or fringe benefits
- Out-of-town audition expenses
- General organizational marketing programs and/or related expenses
To help you prepare, below is a list of required documents in the proper order in which they should be submitted for review.
For Scholarships Applicants
- Personal 300 word essay outlining your educational goals, career aspirations and reasons why you consider yourself deserving of a scholarship.
- Two signed letters of recommendation from a faculty member, instructor or mentor in your proposed field.
- A copy of your most recent transcript is to be sent directly from the institution to: The Exchange, 539 S. Orange Avenue, Sarasota, Florida, 34236. Attention: Executive Director/CEO
- Two proofs of Sarasota/Manatee County residency if you haven't graduated from a local high school. (If you graduated from a local high school, provide the name of the school and the year of graduation.) Proof of residency may include: Florida driver license, Florida voter registration card, utility bill, lease, etc.
- Prior year copy of IRS Form 1040 of any parent, step-parent, or guardian claiming you as a dependent. Information is confidential & social security numbers should be blacked out.
For Grant Applicants
- Application with required signatures.
- Determination letter from the IRS confirming 501(c) (3) status. *
- List of Board of Directors - Include address and occupation for each board member. *
- Most recent IRS Form 990 unless available on the "Giving Partners" website. *
- Current Audited Statement unless available on the "Giving Partners" website. *
- Annual Operating Budget for the Organization. *
- If you are collaborating with other organizations on the project, include letters from the heads of those organizations stating their artistic and financial involvement in the specific project.
- If you received a grant in the past, please submit one copy of all publicity material with the "original" application copy.
* NOTE: If you are applying for BOTH grant programs, it is NOT necessary to provide duplicate information.
Final Report Required from all Grant Recipients
A final report of grant expenditures for 2023-2024 must be completed and returned to The Exchange by June 3, 2024. Funds not requested for reimbursement by the June 3, 2024 deadline will be forfeited. No exceptions.
Please include the following information along with a copy of the original letter you received:
- Name and contact information of person administering the grant.
- A detailed financial account with receipts substantiating the cost of your project. This report should be presented in the same format as your "Proposed Project Budget," which was submitted with your original grant request.
- Projected and actual expenses, income and attendance are required.
- The report should be signed by the person who administered the grant, as well as the CEO of the organization.
- Please outline in detail how your organization chose to recognize/promote/partner with the Woman's Exchange to help us grow our business and in return, give even more back in the form of grants and scholarship in support of the arts.
Mail to: The Exchange
539 S. Orange Ave.
Sarasota, Florida 34236